[mythtv-users] recent conflict python3-mysqlclient vs python3-mysql

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Dec 19 02:27:32 UTC 2022

On Sun, 18 Dec 2022 22:15:17 +0000, you wrote:

>On Sun, Dec 18, 2022 at 9:48 PM Eyal Lebedinsky <eyal at eyal.emu.id.au> wrote:
>
>> but maybe the package is (incorrectly?) not indicating that one replaces the other.
>
>If you read the bugzilla (referenced previously)
>the lack of provides/obsoletes is one of the
>known issues which is why the hoop jumping
>is required at the moment (to be fixed eventually).
>
>> Worked for me on f36 after a very recent update.
>
>F35 is EoL/EoS, so recent updates may not
>have been submitted, and no future ones
>are going to happen.
>
>> WARNING: I did not try the following
>>
>> I see earlier in this thread a suggestion to do
>>         rpm --erase --nodeps python3-python
>> then try to follow with
>>         dnf install python3-mysqlclient
>> before the upgrade.
>
>Using --nodeps is a large hammer
>with which one can do real damage
>if you do not understand what you
>are doing.  It is also sometimes the
>few ways to get out of a hole some
>package/packager has put you into.
>When using a hammer, be sure to
>have and use appropriate PPE.

Another trick that works with Ubuntu is to uninstall all the MythTV
packages, then do the distro upgrade, and then re-install the MythTV
packages.  But that relies on the package uninstall not deleting the
data that was created by running MythTV, as opposed to was installed
by the packages.  I have no idea if Fedora packaging works the same
way.