[mythtv-users] Undelete a show marked for deletion by mistake?

A. F. Cano afc54 at comcast.net
Sat Dec 17 19:52:14 UTC 2022

On Sat, Dec 17, 2022 at 10:41:48PM +1300, Stephen Worthington wrote:

> To undelete go to Watch Recordings, then M(enu) > Change Group Filter
> > Deleted

Mmm...  The Change Filter menu only had:

All Programs [4510 items]
------- Groups -------
Default [4510 items]
------- Categories -------
Unknown [4511 items]

I think I now understand what was happening.  Since my deleted program
was deleted in 20 minutes, there was nothing in the Deleted group.

After recording and deleting something after changing the delete period
to 1 day, there was something in the Deleted group.

To undelete this one show I had to select it, then get the menu (m)
and then select Storage Options -> Change Recording group -> Default
[4510 items] and then it was back to the default group.

> >From the list of deleted recordings, select one and M(enu) > Undelete.
>
> When finished undeleting, go to the left column and from there M(enu)
> > Change Group Filter > All Programmes.
>
> If you are running with the default settings, it normally takes about
> 15 minutes for things to be actually deleted.

Indeed.  Now changed to one day.

> There is a lot of work involved in all that, so you probably will not
> want to do it - just having an orphaned recordings directory under
> Videos is fine.  When I have an orphaned recording like that where it
> is part of a series, I usually edit the Description for the next
> episode after that one to say to watch the orphaned file first: Watch
> Recordings > select the next recording in the series > M(enu) >
> Recording Options > Change Recording Metadata.

Thanks for all these details.  I now have a few options thanks to you
and the other respondents.  What a great resource this list is, and of
course a huge thank you to all the developers.  After having to deal
with the local cable company's interface and dvr (slow, limited and
crippled on purpose so you can't skip commercials and with such lag
that even faster playback is useless as you never know where you're
going to stop) mythtv is so superior that I'll never have cable.

Augustine