[mythtv-users] Leanfront Skipping/Buffering

glen glenb at glenb.net
Sun Dec 11 20:11:15 UTC 2022

On Sun, 2022-12-11 at 20:12 +0100, Angela wrote:
> I have a combined BE/FE directly connected to a TV and love the speed
> of skipping.
> I also have a Shield TV Pro 2019 connected to another TV and use Kodi
> with the MythTV plugin and MythFrontend for Android, both work very
> well and skipping is OK. Using WLAN.
>
> I tried Leanfront, which might even be quicker with skipping, but
> only for the next skip of 10 seconds. As it looks only some 15
> seconds might be buffered. Skipping further than these 15 seconds is
> in my eyes too slow. After a skip to build up buffer takes also a
> long time, so next skips are too slow.
>
> How I use skipping:
> - plain skipping (no commercial skipping activated) with 10 seconds
> and 2 minutes configured
> - need to skip 8 minutes commercials (4x 2 minutes) and correct with
> some 1-2x 10 second skips back/ahead
> - during replay skip back to repeat the last 10-20 seconds
>
> How is the buffering for Leanfront implemented (what happens when I
> skip), how much data/time is buffered?
> Would it be possible to implement/configure a buffering of 30 seconds
> back and 10 minutes ahead (or at minimum of 1 minute ahead) ?

i have somewhat similar on leanfront. sometimes it comes to a
commercial skip and its fast and sometimes i get spinning circle for
longer period. what i have observed is that the bad seeking is more
prevalent on mpeg2 over the air captures then on h264. some of it i am
guessing is because the default android  player used in leanfront is
not geared towards mpeg2 at all with typically larger file sizes in hd.
but the playback and audio is really good.