[mythtv-users] macOS Mythfrontend autobuilds via github

John Hoyt john.hoyt at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 22:26:41 UTC 2022

On Sat, Dec 3, 2022 at 8:24 AM James <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:

> On 3 Dec 2022, at 8:57 pm, John Hoyt <john.hoyt at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Apologies for the lack of new builds lately.  The upgrade to macOS Ventura
> presented many a VM obstacle so I had to pivot to a new method of building
> the application.
>
> To solve the VM problem, I've managed to get autobuilds of Mythfrontend up
> and running using github actions for both fixes/32 and master (pre-33).
> Currently the builds are done on the available github runners for intel
> architectures only (I'm working on an ARM / apple silicon solution...) for
> Catalina (10.15), Big Sur (11), and Monterey (12).
>
> The github action auto uploads generated .dmg files to the usual
> SourceForge site (https://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtvformacosx/files/).
> Note - look for the date stamp if multiple builds are present as I'm still
> struggling through the logic to archive off the old builds. The action is
> set to run weekly and will post updated dmg's if the fixes/32 or master git
> repos receive commits.
>
> For macOS 11 and 12, these applications and dmg files are both signed and
> notarized with a valid apple developer id.
>
> I'll keep posting autobuilds for macOS versions that have supported
> github runners (warning Catalina is about to get retired this week...) and
> will update the runners list as additional macOS versions (and
> architectures) become available.
>
> The code for the github action is located here:
> https://github.com/MythTVforMacOS/compileMythfrontend
>
> Very happy to get any feedback and suggestions from the github actions
> knowledgeable users on this list on ways to improve the build and upload
> process.  I've just started playing around with github actions, and keep
> learning new tricks and features as I go.
>
> In regards to Ventura (intel and ARM based builds), I will keep doing
> those manually until a github runner is stood up to support those
> architectures.  I don't currently have a path forward for Big Sur/Monterey
> based ARM builds, but am looking into alternatives to using VMs (happy to
> get thoughts and ideas).
>

> John you have undertaken a huge task. I hope you get joy from alll your
> toil. In any event I'm very comfortable and I use the work you did daily.
> Thankyou. My desktop machine is stuck at High Sierra, I already went too
> far taking my laptop to Monterey, I'll not upgrade further.
>
> (It's political so I'll be brief:Apple are hell bent in locking their
> users tighter and tighter in their 'jail')
>
> Of passing interest to you
> (I do all my work on a VM to my linux backend)
> neither frontend (High Sierra or Monterey) will retrieve meta data, often
> proceeding all the way to CoverArt and description but no further action.
> My BE's FE does retrieve the metadata and save it.

I don't use my macOS frontend to pull metadata all that often (I usually
just let the backend handle it with a mythutil -scanvideos), so I
definitely missed an issue when I migrated to python310.  Some updated
builds should now be up on SourceForge that appear to resolve the initial
python issue for me.  Curiously, I can grab data with "tmdb3tv.py" for
movies, but "ttvdb4.py" is failing with TV shows.

Any chance you can send a log output?  You can do this by running from the
command prompt with

/Applications/mythfrontend.app/Contents/MacOS/mythfrontend.sh -v