[mythtv-users] 32/fixes frontend has very slow playback on ION

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 16:14:28 UTC 2022

On Sat, Aug 20, 2022 at 11:59 AM Dan Wilga <mythtv-users at dwilga.info> wrote:

> On 8/19/22 2:41 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
> > On 19/08/2022 18:15, Dan Wilga wrote:
> >> To add some data, I did some more testing with " -v
> >> playback,osd,libav,gui,gpuvideo,gpuaudio,gpu,general". I came across
> >> this line just before a 30-second lag in the log, where nothing was
> >> happening onscreen:
> >>
> >>    OpenGL: Src: API Type: Other Msg: Software processing fallback in
> >> rasterization. Blending is not hardware accelerated with ALPHA formats.
> >>
> >> Perhaps it's relevant, I don't know. But it seems to me that if
> >> OpenGL is having trouble with alpha-channel graphics that might also
> >> explain why GUI menu transitions are slower than they were with v31.
> >>

> > I have no idea if this is relevant, but for systems without Nvidia
> > hardware or other gpus I use  'MYTHTV_NO_EGL=1 mythfrontend'  (or for
> > *buntu mythfrontend.real) and get playback that isn't entirely smooth
> > but seems acceptable to me.   That's with 2-core and > 2GHz, HD,
> > master or 32/fixes.
> >
> Thanks for the suggestion, John, but sadly it didn't help.

If you have to buy a replacement for a frontend only. I suggest the Amazon
FireTV 4K which is now about $25.00.  It runs Leanfront for the best
picture you can get including my 11th gen Core i7.  It also runs
mythfrontend and the picture is acceptable, but not as good as Leanfront.
Avoid the 4K Max as it has some issues I can't figure out with
mythfrontend.  But again great with Leanfront.

Jim A