[mythtv-users] building android mythfrontend on Ubuntu 22.04 vs. 20.04?

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 15:02:25 UTC 2022

On Fri, Aug 19, 2022 at 9:33 AM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/18/22 16:11, James Abernathy wrote:
>

> On Thu, Aug 18, 2022 at 3:57 PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 8/17/22 16:15, James Abernathy wrote:
>> > So I was testing out the updated Readme.md at
>> > https://github.com/MythTV/packaging/tree/master/android
>> > by building a KVM VM using Ubuntu 20.04 and the instructions including
>> > the dependencies worked as documented. So I thought I'd see if this
>> > held true on Ubuntu 22.04. Well it did not.  After I built the VM
>> > using Ubuntu 22.04 I followed the Readme.md again and it failed
>> > building the libs and the error seemed to indicate it could not find
>> > the command 'pkg-config'.
>> >
>> > I checked the 20.04 VM and it had the command pkg-config but 22.04
>> > didn't.  I did sudo apt install pkg-config on the 22.04 VM and then
>> > the libs were built.  However, when I tried to build the apk, I got an
>> > error about not finding 'libmariadb.so'.
>> >
>> > This made no sense to me.  Anyone have any ideas? Obviously, I could
>> > update the Readme.md to say Ubuntu 20.04 only, but that would seem odd.
>> >
>> > Jim A

>> I have built on 22.04 ever since I upgraded to 22.04 a couple of months
>> ago. I have not had any problems, although I did build the libs on 20.04
>> and continued using the same ones on 22.04. Are you building fixes/32 or
>> master?
>>
>> Peter
>>

> I think there must be something different about having 20.04 working and
> then upgrading in place to 22.04.  I may do an experiment if I have time.
> I'm doing fixes/32 only when testing 22.04.
>
> After I had 20.04 production arm and arm64 apks for fixes/32, I did try
> master just to see since I have a master FE/BE combo testing system working
> fine on Master, but while libs built, apks failed hard and early.  I didn't
> even try to figure out what was missing.
>
> Both the 20.04 and 22.04 android builder systems were just VMs so they
> were fresh systems with just what it took to run the android builds.  My
> new Readme.md was strictly 20.04, fresh VM  and it's repeatable.  Since I
> can build a 20.04 VM as easily as 22.04, I really don't care, but someone
> will try 22.04 naturally and it will fail. If I could identify the problem
> that would be good to note the changes, but otherwise I may want a 20.04
> only warning in the readme.
>
> Jim A
>

> FWIW I never upgrade an operating system version in place. My 22.04 is a
> fresh install. After install I moved important stuff, like the development
> libraries and android directory to the new home directory of 22.04.
>
> Peter

I found where the build-tools 29.0.2 is coming from.  In the directory
workdir/packaging/android/android-utilities is a file called setenv.sh and
there is some logic in there that hardcodes the version if a test fails:

ANDROID_ROOT=$HOME/Android
ANDROID_ROOT=`readlink -f "$ANDROID_ROOT"`
export ANDROID_SDK=$ANDROID_ROOT/Sdk
export ANDROID_NDK=$ANDROID_ROOT/android-ndk
export ANDROID_SDK_ROOT=$ANDROID_SDK
export ANDROID_NDK_ROOT=$ANDROID_NDK
if [ $(ls -1 "$ANDROID_SDK_ROOT/build-tools" | wc -l) == 1 ] ; then
export ANDROID_BUILD_TOOLS_REVISION=$(ls -1 $ANDROID_SDK_ROOT/build-tools |
grep "^[0-9]" | tail -1)
echo "Using discovered tools version $ANDROID_BUILD_TOOLS_REVISION"
else
export ANDROID_BUILD_TOOLS_REVISION=29.0.2
echo "Using hardcoded tools version  $ANDROID_BUILD_TOOLS_REVISION"