[mythtv-users] 32/fixes frontend has very slow playback on ION

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 06:39:11 UTC 2022

On Thu, 18 Aug 2022 at 14:52, Dan Wilga <mythtv-users at dwilga.info> wrote:

> I've been running version 31 for a while on my various machines, and I
> recently decided to start using 32. Since I use CentOS, I'm compiling
> from source.
>
> When I run the frontend on my relatively beefy system with a GT 710 it
> works fine. However, when I run the same binary on my old ION (1) boxes,
> things are very slow.
>
> - The biggest problem is video playback. These boxes use the VDPAU
> Normal profile. When I try to play 1080i content, it will often pause
> for a really long time, then quit with the error "Decoder timed out
> waiting for free video buffers". Sometimes it will render video, but at
> a rate of one frame every few seconds. I tried creating a profile that
> still uses VDPAU but has no deinterlacers and that did not help.
>
> Most of my content is H264. Because of the age of the ION hardware, I'm
> using the 340x proprietary video driver.
>
> - Another data point is that even the GUI is noticeably slower than v31
> on these ION boxes, especially when doing things like the alpha fade
> when transitioning from one settings page to another (Mythbuntu theme).
>
> If you have suggestions I'll happily provide relevant logs, traces, etc.
> I just didn't want to inundate the list with tons of stuff to start.

Not that this is much help to you but I'm running a v32 combined
frontend/backend on a ion without any playback issues (once I allocated the
maximum memory to the video card in the BIOS).

I compiled from source on the ion box, though it was quite a long time
ago.  Once I get something working I tend to leave it alone.

Menus have never been very snappy but I didn't notice them being any slower
than on my previous v24 build.