[mythtv-users] building android mythfrontend on Ubuntu 22.04 vs. 20.04?

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 20:11:19 UTC 2022

On Thu, Aug 18, 2022 at 3:57 PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/17/22 16:15, James Abernathy wrote:
> > So I was testing out the updated Readme.md at
> > https://github.com/MythTV/packaging/tree/master/android
> > by building a KVM VM using Ubuntu 20.04 and the instructions including
> > the dependencies worked as documented. So I thought I'd see if this
> > held true on Ubuntu 22.04. Well it did not.  After I built the VM
> > using Ubuntu 22.04 I followed the Readme.md again and it failed
> > building the libs and the error seemed to indicate it could not find
> > the command 'pkg-config'.
> >
> > I checked the 20.04 VM and it had the command pkg-config but 22.04
> > didn't.  I did sudo apt install pkg-config on the 22.04 VM and then
> > the libs were built.  However, when I tried to build the apk, I got an
> > error about not finding 'libmariadb.so'.
> >
> > This made no sense to me.  Anyone have any ideas? Obviously, I could
> > update the Readme.md to say Ubuntu 20.04 only, but that would seem odd.
> >
> > Jim A

> I have built on 22.04 ever since I upgraded to 22.04 a couple of months
> ago. I have not had any problems, although I did build the libs on 20.04
> and continued using the same ones on 22.04. Are you building fixes/32 or
> master?
>
> Peter

I think there must be something different about having 20.04 working and
then upgrading in place to 22.04.  I may do an experiment if I have time.
I'm doing fixes/32 only when testing 22.04.

After I had 20.04 production arm and arm64 apks for fixes/32, I did try
master just to see since I have a master FE/BE combo testing system working
fine on Master, but while libs built, apks failed hard and early.  I didn't
even try to figure out what was missing.

Both the 20.04 and 22.04 android builder systems were just VMs so they were
fresh systems with just what it took to run the android builds.  My new
Readme.md was strictly 20.04, fresh VM  and it's repeatable.  Since I can
build a 20.04 VM as easily as 22.04, I really don't care, but someone will
try 22.04 naturally and it will fail. If I could identify the problem that
would be good to note the changes, but otherwise I may want a 20.04 only
warning in the readme.

Jim A