[mythtv-users] building Android mythfrontend from source

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 14:43:01 UTC 2022

On Sat, Aug 13, 2022 at 10:20 AM John <jksjdevelop at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/08/2022 14:07, James Abernathy wrote:
>

> I have made some progress on building using the more normal method, i.e.
> not Docker method.
>
> I'd like to suggest that some documentation improvements might be in
> order. I'll take a stab at this once I can document to my satisfaction what
> work.  There are 2 key missing dependencies:
> libtool
> autopoint
>
> Also what versions of NDK, build-tools, etc. are very critical.  I was
> using some newer stuff and was not getting very far.
>
> Anyway I was able to
> build mythfrontend-20220812-arm-v32.0-59-gcf553e438c.apk and it runs on my
> FIreTV 4K Max device.  Still not as good as Leanfront, but it's useful for
> all the stuff you use mythfrontend for besides playing a recording.
>
> Jim A
>

> Great I have tried to build the Android version of the Frontend previously
> and could not get it to build. So looking forward to your guide.

As to a Guide. I start with the Readme on the packaging/android page:
https://github.com/MythTV/packaging/tree/master/android

I created an issue (https://github.com/MythTV/packaging/issues/126)  with
my suggestions which contains some missing dependencies and some
clarifications at least from my understanding.  To keep from messing up my
whole system in case I screwed up, I created a KVM VM with Ubuntu 20.04
Desktop and used that for building up an Android builder system. I did NOT
use the Docker method even though I tried, but with my edits you can do it
in the more traditional way.

We found a fix for a digital audio 5.1 problem that I've been talking
recently to Klaas about on this mailing list. You can either incorporate
those changes or wait a few days for the official fixes to roll out. I have
it working on my PC and am building it now for my FireTV 4K Max stick and
Shield TV.

Jim A