[mythtv-users] Digital audio Capability grayed out

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 11:54:07 UTC 2022

On Sat, Aug 13, 2022 at 6:45 AM Klaas de Waal <klaas.de.waal at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Aug 2022 at 12:27, James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Found it. The problem started with
>> commit: cd109ec6c08f578e1b0965e4726e6046d75af8e8 from Apr 9 22:57:38
>>
>> Here's the detailed lab report I did to document my testing. Things were
>> getting blurred until I did this. The testing problem was that if you have
>> a working 5.1 setup and change to a commit where it fails, you may not know
>> it until you change your audio device.
>> ------------------
>> All this testing was on a Asrock NUC 1165G7 Core i7 1165G7. Connected to
>> Denon AVR via HDMI and AVR connected to Samsung UHD 4K TV. The PC is
>> running EndeavourOS which is really Archlinux but easier to install. So
>> Mythtv combo FE/BE was built from source originally via AUR. However, when
>> this testing started I followed the normal Build from source wiki page:
>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Build_from_Source.
>>
>> The NUC was not rebooted during this testing. So the backend should not
>> have restarted. So in theory only the frontend should have changed. I
>> checked the Status page each test and it did agree with the commit I was on.
>> -----------------
>>
>> Went back to fixes/32 latest and built it for sanity and 5.1 fails and
>> Digital Audio Capabilities is grayed out.
>>
>> Now going back to Jun 30 ced41a5f8f5a53c685755cde67fbe16206c9aa55
>> 5.1 does not work, the same as the latest.
>>
>> Going back to 1eacadd5f413197746cb61ea036c522c65f95936
>> again from Apr 9th. 22:49:25
>> Dolby Digital 5.1 is working again.
>>
>> Now going to ced41a5f8f5a53c685755cde67fbe16206c9aa55
>> from Jun 30
>> At first it's working but if you change the audio device to something
>> else like alsa and uncheck the Digital Audio Capabilities, they go gray and
>> then when you change to the right HDMI, there are no Digital Capabilities.
>> Definitely some memory kept somewhere.
>>
>> Going to try 1eacadd5f413197746cb61ea036c522c65f95936 again from April
>> 9th  22:49:25
>> As soon as you start mythfrontend, go to settings you see the right audio
>> device and you can set Digital Audio Capabilities.  You can set 5.1 and it
>> works. You can also change to ALSA default that doesn't really work and the
>> Capabilities are not grayed out.
>>
>> Next ec4558f3e1bbc021d771276a288039924f181a8b from Apr 20th
>> at first it looks okay, but when you change to Alsa Default and uncheck
>> the 4 Digital Audio Capabilities, change to stereo and save you can not got
>> back to the correct HDMI device and all the Digital Audio Capabilities are
>> grayed out.
>>
>> Changed to cd109ec6c08f578e1b0965e4726e6046d75af8e8 from Apr 9 22:57:38
>> Does not work. Digital Audio Capabilities grayed out.
>>
>> Change back to 1eacadd5f413197746cb61ea036c522c65f95936 from Apr 9
>> 22:49:25
>> Everything working fine, related to Dolby Digital 5.1!
>>
>> Jim A.

> [...]
I have a workaround for this at least for me.  Most of my viewing is via a
FIreTV 4K Max with either Leanfront or Mythfrontend.

My backend is on the latest fixes/32. So I built the mythfrontend android
for arm v32.0-18-g1eacadd5f4 and set up my Audio settings for Dolby Digital
5.1 and created a Unique identifier for the frontend. Then I could install
v32.0-59gcf553e438c on the FireTV Max and put in the Unique identifier as
before and it brought back my settings. so now Dolby Digital 5.1 works on
mythfrontend with the latest commit.

That tells me the audio section will work on the latest if the settings are
already there. So it's not so much an audio problem as a Setup -> Audio
menu problem that is mistakenly identifying that the HDMI is not 5.1

Jim A