[mythtv-users] Digital audio Capability grayed out

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 09:52:53 UTC 2022

On Mon, Aug 1, 2022 at 5:39 AM Justin Smith <justin at smithpolglase.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 1:23 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Here's some additional information. I took a 5.1 test file and put it in
> my
> > /home/jim/Videos directory and set up mythtv to have that directory
> > included in its list of directories for the Videos Storage group.  I
> think
> > it is playing with 5.1 sound using mythfrontend -> Media Library -> Play
> > Videos. I can also play that video in Celluloid player and Kodi. The 5.1
> is
> > correct there.  I don't have a recorded TV program now that I can test
> Kodi
> > with the kodi-prv-mythtv addon to see if it is truly 5.1
> >
> > It seems to be something in the way mythfrontend is detecting the
> > capabilities of the audio on my hdmi channel. Other Linux player seem to
> > not have this issue.
>
> This sounds like an issue similar to one I had recently:
>
> http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2022-June/409756.html
>
> I managed to get it working (not because I have any particular insight
> into this - more by luck - see the email), but I came to the
> conclusion that there is a bug either in MythTV or the kernel/alsa
> functionality that reports audio functionality.
>
> Cheers,
> Justin.

Thank you for replying. I did a lot of searching on the mailing list for
Digital Audio Capabilities without finding your issue.

I know back with Raspbian OS on the RPI4 I had to create a Mythtv audio
device in a file called: $HOME/.asoundrc. This must be what you did with
the right parameters.

I'll test and report back. In my case Kodi and VLC both worked with Dolby
Digital.  Sometimes I see "Multi Channel In" on the display instead of
Dolby.  I think this must be content related.

Jim A