[mythtv-users] Which SystemD script?

Donald Brett dlbrett108 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 29 13:59:33 UTC 2022

On 4/27/2022 8:40 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2022 18:31:04 -0500, you wrote:
>
>> I have and existing Ubuntu 18.04/Mythtv V30 box, that works fine.  I
>> just moved, so needed to change my listing setup; figured I would
>> upgrade at the same time, so built a new box with Ubuntu 20.04 (Mate),
>> Mythtv v32, and configured with one tuner of an HDHR Connect Quatro.
>> Installation went fine but thing were very unstable, downright flaky.
>>
>> Found two issues; there were two master backends on the same network,
>> and there were two systemd scripts enabled on the new box. I unchecked
>> the master backend selection in setup of the existing 18.04 backend, but
>> the new box was still unstable.   The scripts were mythbackend.service
>> and mythtv-backend.service.  I disabled mythbackend.service and now it
>> works fine.
>>
>> I came across a recommendation to use mythtv-backend on Ubuntu, but the
>> Systemd mythbackend Configuration wiki seems to favor
>> mythbackend.service.  Which is  the preferred script?
> If you have installed the Ubuntu 20.04 MythTV packages from the main
> Ubuntu repositories or the fixes packages from the Mythbuntu
> repository, both sets of packages use mythtv-backend.service.  It is
> possible that Mate has different packages, but I do not know where
> mythbackend.service will have come from.  If you want to find out,
> here are instructions for finding which package a file comes from:
>
> https://linuxhint.com/find_which_package_contains_specific_file_ubuntu/
>
> However, if you are using networked tuners, the standard
> mythtv-backend.service file does not account for this as it starts
> mythtbackend when networking is first available (when the localhost
> interface is up), not when networking is fully up and network tuners
> are actually available.  Mythbackend tests tuners immediately after it
> starts up and will not use any that do not work when tested, so it
> will normally mark all network tuners as bad in that situation.  So
> you need to add an override file that makes the startup of mythbackend
> wait until the network tuners are actually accessible.  The usual way
> to do that is to make the override file ping one of your network
> tuners and get a response before it will allow mythbackend to start.
> Instructions on how to do that are available on this list here:
>
> https://lists.archive.carbon60.com/mythtv/users/625992
For the installation, I used:
don at scotty:~$ sudo apt-get install mythtv

, which I assume is the Ubuntu main repositories.

apt-file didn't find "mythbackend.service" anywhere.  I may be the
culprit here, earlier in the week I was trying tons of things to
stabilize it, and manually installed mythbackend.service (from the wiki
instructions).  My last effort was to wipe the box and start over from
scratch, but I didn't think I had included that script....maybe I did.

Hmm, you pointed me to my own thread from 3 years ago to fix the network
ready issue :).  I wasn't having that problem (that I knew of), but used
anyway, just in case; worked great, thanks again.

Don