[mythtv-users] Which SystemD script?

Donald Brett dlbrett108 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 27 23:31:04 UTC 2022

I have and existing Ubuntu 18.04/Mythtv V30 box, that works fine.  I
just moved, so needed to change my listing setup; figured I would
upgrade at the same time, so built a new box with Ubuntu 20.04 (Mate),
Mythtv v32, and configured with one tuner of an HDHR Connect Quatro.
Installation went fine but thing were very unstable, downright flaky.

Found two issues; there were two master backends on the same network,
and there were two systemd scripts enabled on the new box. I unchecked
the master backend selection in setup of the existing 18.04 backend, but
the new box was still unstable.   The scripts were mythbackend.service
and mythtv-backend.service.  I disabled mythbackend.service and now it
works fine.

I came across a recommendation to use mythtv-backend on Ubuntu, but the
Systemd mythbackend Configuration wiki seems to favor
mythbackend.service.  Which is  the preferred script?