[mythtv-users] AMDGPU and VDPAU

Martin Compton martinc at itrans.com
Wed Apr 27 14:02:00 UTC 2022

On 4/6/22 16:49, Gregorio Gervasio Jr. wrote:
> Yeah, my nVidia cards are even older so I switched away years ago.
>
> Two of my frontends use AMD Ryzen 3400G and 2400G APUs (CPUs with
> integrated Radeon GPUs).  The playback profiles are set to use "VAAPI"
> (not VDPAU) for the decoder and "OpenGL Hardware" for the renderer, and
> that seems to work well.
>
> I haven't played much with the deinterlacing options since I don't
> record any 1080i content these days ("Thanks, Comcast").
I have a combo BE/FE with AMD Ryzen 7 5700G CPU/GPU Radeon graphics that
I built late last year.  I set it to use VAAPI as that is listed as more
broadly capable in MythTV FE System Status than VDPAU.  I have not
noticed any issues with 1080i content (h.264 from an HDPVR), which all
of my recordings use.

It does seem to me that the picture is not quite as sharp as it was on
my old machine (at 1080p60).  But without being able to specify the
de-interlacer I'm not sure if it is related to that (or if it just my
eyesight).  I drive the TV display at 4k p60 and like it overall.  Even
if I used ffmpeg as the decoder, it doesn't put much load on the
system.  Note that I am using the mesa driver's included in LINUX.  I
have not tried installing the AMD GPU drivers.  I'm using Xubuntu 20 LTS.

Remember that the AMD GPU uses system memory.  So the faster and more of
it the better.  I've got 32Gb RAM and the GPU reserves 8GB.

I've also noticed that MythTV FE starts using up RAM, upwards of 6-8GB
over the course of days (using either ffmpeg or vaapi).  Not sure why it
creeps up like that.

Overall I have been pleased with the performance of the 5700G.  I really
did not want to have to buy a separate video card and this CPU/GPU does
the job nicely and was not a hassle to deal with in LINUX.

Regards,
Martin