[mythtv-users] Is 12th gen i3-12100 supported by myth 31/fixes?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Apr 25 17:36:12 UTC 2022

On 25/04/2022 17:57, Ram Ramesh wrote:
> On 4/25/22 11:48, Jay Foster wrote:
>> On 4/25/2022 8:37 AM, Ram Ramesh wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>   My age old intel NUC frontend is sick and needs a replacement. I want to build a new rig with
>>> 12th gen core i3 (NUC is pentium N3700).
>>>
>>>    Core i3-12100 has intel UHD graphics 730 per my check. I use debian 11 (bullseye) as my
>>> distribution with legacy BIOS oot/grub_pc.  I have myth 31/fixes installed in my current NUC. I
>>> will simply transfer the disk from NUC and try to boot/run with the new rig when it is built as
>>> both graphics are intel (I think I setup VAAPI, but not sure 100%)
>>>
>>>   Will my new hardware supported by debian/Xorg/myth combo? Do you anticipate any issues that I
>>> should research on before building mine?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any pointers.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Ramesh
>>>
>> Maybe related.  Last year I upgraded my old (non mythtv) MB.  I needed to upgrade the kernel to
>> support the ethernet adapter on the new MB. The new kernel no longer supported my Nvidia GT220
>> video card, so I though no worries, I'll just use the built-in Intel GPU. It was then I discovered
>> that I could only use legacy BIOS mode with an external video card.  Using the Intel graphics
>> required the UEFI BIOS mode.  I then had to replace grub-pc with grub-efi on my existing HD (a
>> tricky process).  This was an Ubuntu 20.04.1 system.
>>
> Jay,
>
>    Thanks for the pointer. When I reviewed MB manual BIOS pages, I also noticed that the photo of
> CSM BIOS page shows that CSM is disabled without external video card. Not sure why that is the case.
> May be the entire world is switching to UEFI.
>
>      I do not have a spare video card to help the system. I think I will get a new disk, install
> fresh UEFI debian minimal system and copy old system in a new partition on the new disk and then
> boot and choose the old install. Not sure how successful I will be.
>
> Regards
> Ramesh

I have had to do this for a while. It /is/ possible to install bullseye using the old BIOS GRUB
method but most recent motherboards I have seen have all been UEFI.

When you install, create the first partition as a 1Gb UEFI partition and then proceed as normal. If
you do this the install will default to asking you if UEFI is the way to go, simply answer yes and
it will do what is required.

Be warned, I have a couple of older UEFI motherboards which boot UEFI but the installs are
incompatible; I have to actually install from scratch on those hosts if I want them to succeed. No
moving disks from one host to another, which works fine everywhere else!

Another gotcha: since systemd sneers at 'eth0' then you can guarantee that your NIC will have a
different name when you do move anything - including the copy you describe above. Make sure you can
boot to a console, do 'ip a' to find out what the NIC is now called and edit /etc/network/interfaces
to suit.

--

Mike Perkins