[mythtv-users] MythFrontend out of memory problem

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Apr 12 02:06:37 UTC 2022

On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 13:04:13 -0500, you wrote:

>Unfortunately, I decided to take the plunge and upgrade to 32. Looked
>simple; however, in stuck years ago right at the beginning running
>mythtv-setup with "Failed to get schema upgrade lock". Can't go back or
>forward at this point. I have a good DB backup just don't know what to do
>with it.
>
>Ken Emerson

The recommended method of upgrading is to use mythtv-setup to do the
schema upgrade, but in order to do that, you have to remember to
prevent mythbackend from being automatically restarted after MythTV is
updated:

sudo systemctl disable mythtv-backend

So by the time you ran mythtv-setup, mythbackend was already running
and in the middle of doing the schema upgrade.  Unless there is
actually a problem with the schema upgrade (rare), then letting
mythbackend do it is not a problem.  After running mythtv-setup, you
are then supposed to re-enable and restart mythbackend:

sudo systemctl enable --now mythtv-backend

Also, when doing any update where a repository has changed, you are
supposed to use the command:

sudo apt full-upgrade

rather than the usual:

sudo apt upgrade

If you did not do that, you need to run full-upgrade now, as otherwise
it is possible to have a situation where some packages did not upgrade
correctly (usually, libmythtv does not get upgraded properly).

Personally, I now normally run apt full-upgrade unless there is a
specific reason not to.