[mythtv-users] scan

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Apr 9 09:18:23 UTC 2022

On Sat, 9 Apr 2022 13:44:43 +0800, you wrote:

>>> OK I?ve changed card from Hauppague to Winfast, recofigured, and scan says ?No Channels? even though lock at the right places.
>>> I also tried to play capture device with vlc. No errors reported, but no output.
>>>
>>> I guess that tumbleweed won?t play nicely with dvb capture cards. Video playback is good,
>>>
>>> James
>>
>> Do the tuners need firmware?  Are the firmware files in /lib/firmware
>> (or wherever they should be on Suse)?  Do the logs show them loading?
>> If the /dev/dvb devices are there, but do not work, it is usually a
>> firmware problem.  It could also be a user setup problem, such as not
>> selecting the Australian bandwidth setting of 7 instead of the default
>> 8.
>
>They do need firmware, no firmware no work, but dmesg does not show fw load.
>
>[    5.949681] em28xx 3-2:1.0: Identified as Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD DVB (card=99)
>[    5.950514] tveeprom: Hauppauge model 204209, rev C2I6, serial# 14120028
>[    5.950515] tveeprom: tuner model is SiLabs Si2157 (idx 186, type 4)
>[    5.950515] tveeprom: TV standards PAL(B/G) NTSC(M) PAL(I) SECAM(L/L') PAL(D/D1/K) ATSC/DVB Digital (eeprom 0xfc)
>[    5.950516] tveeprom: audio processor is None (idx 0)
>[    5.950516] tveeprom: has no radio, has IR receiver, has no IR transmitter
>[    5.950518] em28xx 3-2:1.0: dvb set to bulk mode.
>[    6.009784] em28xx 3-2:1.0: chip ID is em28174
>
>I took all dvb firmware from /lib/firmware on a working system and put it on the test box
>
>> Australian bandwidth setting of 7 instead of the default
>
>I've setup both machines identically, but bw does not ring a bell, where do I find that?
>
>Also the logs shows scanning, lock, bot no channels found
>James

I think the bandwidth is set when you tell it the country for
scanning.  The default comes from:

mythtv-setup > 4. Video sources > <your source> > Channel frequency
table > select australia

That should set up the correct frequencies to scan and also the
bandwidth.  Then in the dtv_multiplex table you should (after a
successful scan) see the dtv_multiplex.bandwidth field with '7' in it.
I have '8' as we have normal bandwidth in NZ.  I think only Australia
and one other country use 7 MHz bandwidth.

I think there also used to be a way of setting the frequency table in
the Scan settings for each tuner, but I can not find it at present.

The fact that you are seeing it lock but not find channels is still
suggesting the proper firmware is not loading.  This page looks like
it is the info for your tuner:

https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-dualHD

so from there, it looks like you need to be seeing "si2168" messages
in the logs for the firmware to be loading correctly.