[mythtv-users] AMDGPU and VDPAU

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 15:38:36 UTC 2022

On Wed, Apr 6, 2022 at 10:08 AM Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Apr 2022 09:05:24 -0400, you wrote:
>

> >I'm honestly a little fed up with nVidia for many reasons. Is anyone
> >using Radeon cards and the AMDGPU VDPAU on their frontends? If so, I'd
> >be interested to hear how it's working out. Thanks in advance!
> >
> >Tom
>
> I would be interested to know about this also.  Nvidia making me have
> to throw away perfectly good GT220 and earlier cards just because they
> have stopped driver support has made me quite angry with them.  Your
> GT430 will suffer the same fate very shortly if it has not already -
> they are clearly intent on dropping support for any cards earlier than
> the 1000 series.  I have never used AMD GPUs as their reputation was
> previously for having very buggy drivers.  Video driver bugs are very
> bad things as they often lead to system crashes or lockups of the
> worst sort.  Nvidia has had bugs like that and I have suffered through
> a couple, but in a month or two Nvidia has fixed the bug.  But with
> AMD the reports used to be that they never bothered to fix bugs like
> that.  But it seems that may all be in the past and if so, AMD may
> well be a decent (cheaper?) option for MythTV.  Intel certainly is
> now, if you have a decent CPU for doing the deinterlacing.

I've actually already run into that to some degree, because my
frontend is 32 bit and nVIdia has dropped support for that past the
version 390 drivers.

I think that the Linux AMD issues predate the newer AMDGPU stuff in
the kernel entirely. Note that I use Gentoo for everything, so the
kernel and any AMD related drivers are pretty current. Like I said,
VDPAU (albeit not in MythTV) seems to be working great on this
machine.

Tom