[mythtv-users] AMDGPU and VDPAU

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 13:05:24 UTC 2022

My old frontend machine is using an nVidia card (a GT 430). I've been
meaning to look into building a new frontend for some time, and have
had some questions about that answered here.

I built AMD based the workstation I'm on right now last year and went
with an AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT 8-GB. That would clearly be massive
overkill for a MythTV frontend for sure.

That said, while I'm not running MythTV on this machine, I see that
the AMDGPU VDPAU appears to work very well in other players here, like
xine and mpv etc. I've tested on 1080i OTA interlaced content as well
and it appears the deinterlacing is using VDPAU as well...though I'm
not sure what method it's using.

I'm honestly a little fed up with nVidia for many reasons. Is anyone
using Radeon cards and the AMDGPU VDPAU on their frontends? If so, I'd
be interested to hear how it's working out. Thanks in advance!

Tom