[mythtv-users] Is there a metadata update api for recordings

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 13:46:13 UTC 2021

On 9/28/21 3:50 AM, ajp at cantabrian.co.nz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to tidy up my recordings and organize them better. Big
> task – lots of Dr Who.
>
> At the moment the only supported way I can find for changing the title
> and subtitle, which is all I am wanting to do, is via the Myth
> Frontend. I am running Kodi on Windows as my frontend but I have the
> Myth frontend on my server. I am running 0.29.
>
> The current method is to find the recording on Kodi and then update on
> Myth frontend via VMware remote console. It works, but it’s a bit tedious.
>
> It would be helpful to have an api call to update metadata, but from
> my searching this doesn’t seem to exist, so I thought I would ask just
> in case I missed something. I am happy to update via DB queries but it
> is difficult to figure out a supported query.
>
> Any extra info or practical suggestions welcome.
>
> Tony

There is a call Dvr/AddRecordedCredits which will add names of actors,
directors, etc.

There is an api Dvr/AddRecordedProgram which adds a recording including
all the metadata. This will fail if you try it with an existing
recording. I am not sure how this would be used. It seems that it would
need you to put a file in the recording storage group and then call the
api to add it to the database.

What metadata are you trying to update? Is the existing metadata job in
MythTV not working for you? You should be able to just invoke the
metadata lookup job to fill in metadata. If that fails to find the
correct show you can first fill in the initref correctly, then metadata
lookup should work. If the initref is not filled in correctly, you can
enter it on the recording rule for future recordings.

Note that in the latest MythTV version there are multiple metadata
lookup methods for TV shows (themoviedb, thetvdb, tvmaze). Also the TVDB
lookup API is changing soon, and old versions of MythTV will not support
the new API.

Peter