[mythtv-users] RedHat vs Ubuntu

James jam at tigger.ws
Thu Sep 23 13:13:50 UTC 2021

> On 23 Sep 2021, at 7:26 pm, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On 9/23/21 6:10 AM, Ken Smith via mythtv-users wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I don't want to start a distro war discussion here. Just a practical thread about the state of play with Myth in 2021.
>>

>> Since 2007 I have run various incarnations of MythTV on RedHat derived systems. Various flavours of Fedora and latterly Centos. I chose RedHat as I work with that in my day-job and I'm most familiar with it. The MythTV rpm builds done by Axel Thimm and others have worked well so far....
>>
>> With the debacle over Centos 8 last year I have been attempting to set up my latest incarnation of MythTV on AlmaLinux, with is a Redhat 8 clone. I've attempted to use the MythTV rpm made available at RPMFusion. As some may have noticed in my other recent thread, there is a MySQL / MariaDB conflict when installing that version. I know I could force the install but generally the installation is really messy.
>>
>> I raised a Bug at RPMFusion over a week ago and have had no response at all. Not even a "this is duplicate of xyz or you are doing something dumb"
>>
>> For MythTV > v28 is a RedHat/RPMFusion a viable way forward?
>>
>> Is anyone else currently using a RedHat derived system?
>>
>> As I see it there are these options
>>
>> - Somehow get the RPMFusion rpm sorted out. Not having much luck with that.
>> - Find an alternative repository with a current rpm build. I do see MythTV 0.27 for Fedora 19 on ATRPM's but Fedora 19 went EoL in 2015.
>> - Build from source on AlmaLinux.
>> - Drop RedHat and switch to Ubuntu.
>>
>> I rather suspect the last option is the only real way forward.
>>
>> I do appreciate the hours of voluntary effort put in my many to produce a truly excellent system that is head and shoulders ahead of anything else.
>>
>> Thoughts
>>
>> :-) Ken
>

> I've been using Mythtv on *buntu since it was it's own distro originally.  To me it seemed that the main development was on *buntu so I stuck with that.  I now use a minimal installation of Ubuntu desktop, add the repository and install. Everything else is just configuration.  Always works and I rarely have to ask for help.
>
> I've always had the philosophy to use the OS that is most convenient for what I want to do. I guess that is why I've learned and used so many OS's over the years. I don't care about which is more original to the tree, uses less memory or maybe slightly faster. Just what gets the job done the best and quickest.
>
> As they said in the movies, "Time's money on this job"
>
> That's my opinion anyway.

Ken I use SuSE and the pain that went with setting it up, but I have done and it is quick and easy on ubuntu (xubuntu or lubuntu are nice choices)
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Build_from_Source <https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Build_from_Source>
admittedly I've done it a few times, but 30 min from start to a working system
advantage is git. IE a recent change for meta data, fixed in 5 min!

For Mike "I've always used debian" other reasons not because debian offers mythtv "medisanol compound"
James