[mythtv-users] Intel GPU HD 630 Graphics Configuration

Jay Foster jayf0ster at roadrunner.com
Thu Sep 9 20:23:01 UTC 2021

I am hoping someone on this list might know something that could help me
configure the Intel HD 630 graphics controller.

I recently needed to upgrade my motherboard due to signs of failure (it
was over 11 years old).  I was running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS with the stock
5.4 kernel and a GT220 video card using the nvidia-340.108 driver.  The
ethernet adapter in the new motherboard was not supported by the 5.4
kernel, so I updated the HWE (to 20.04.3) which comes with the 5.11
kernel.  I then discovered that the nvidia-340 driver will not compile
with any kernel >= 5.5 (seems to be a known issue), so I tried switching
to the built-in Intel video:

Graphics:
   Device-1: Intel driver: i915 v: kernel
   Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: fbdev
   unloaded: modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
   OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel UHD Graphics 630 (CML GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa
21.0.3

This "seems" to work, but I have noticed that black text on red
backgrounds is blurry and I don't remember this issue with the GT220
card.  Some web searching leads me to the conclusion that the Intel
video is not configured correctly (something to do with chroma
subsampling YUV 4:2:0 vs RGB 4:4:4).  My search found many examples of
this by others, but no solution as to how to fix it. One user's fix was
to ditch the Intel video and install a separate video card.

Does anyone know how to configure the Intel GPU on linux to RGB mode?
The TV display is 1920x1080 at 60Hz, no UHD or 4K required.

If that is not possible, then a recommendation for an Nvidia video card
that has a working linux driver for the 5.11 (and later) kernel.

Jay