[mythtv-users] Fwd: Re: channel4 hd has no eit - cross-eit

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Sep 5 10:45:31 UTC 2021

On Sun, 05 Sep 2021 22:36:20 +1200, you wrote:

>On Sun, 5 Sep 2021 11:21:40 +0100, you wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 5 Sept 2021 at 09:23, John <jksjdevelop at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I too converted cross-eit to use Python 3 and it is currently working fine
>>> for me.
>>>
>>> I have to edit the file when the clocks change as the line
>>>
>>> date = dateobj + datetime.timedelta(seconds=time.altzone)
>>>
>>> doesn't cope with the time change, do you have a fix?
>>>

>>While looking for errors, I just noticed the following line in my latest
>>mythfilldatabase log:
>>
>>2021-09-05 11:10:35.405331 W  No explicit time zone found, guessing
>>implicit UTC! Please consider enhancing the guide source to provide
>>explicit UTC or local time instead.
>>
>>So perhaps a cleaner fix than the hack I suggested earlier might be to
>>supply the time zone in the exported xml file. It will take a bit of
>>digging around to figure out two things:
>>
>>1 - How / where / in what format
>>
>>2 - What the correct time zone should be. If I have to say UTC+0 in winter
>>and UTC+1 in summer then I still need that IF statement. I am not aware of
>>a way of saying "the time zone is whatever is current in the UK, so please
>>go and look it up in some library that the OS surely has". Or perhaps
>>that's what "local time" means, if I can figure out a way of saying that in
>>the xml file.
>
>The timezone data is added on each timestamp, so on each "start=" and
>"stop=" in the XML file.  Here is an example from my New Zealand
>FreeviewHD data today:
>
><programme channel="aljazeera.freeviewnz.tv" start="20210905000000
>+1200" stop="20210905003000 +1200">
>  <title>The Bottom Line</title>
>  <desc>G Host Steve Clemons asks former CDC director Tom Frieden
>about where humanity stands in the fight against coronavirus.</desc>
>  <episode-num system="dd_progid">45899218</episode-num>
>  <rating system="Freeview">
>    <value>G</value>
>  </rating>
></programme>
>
>New Zealand is 12 hours ahead of UTC on standard time, and 13 hours
>ahead on daylight saving time, so during daylight saving the "+1200"
>changes to "+1300"  For the UK, I would suggest using "+0000" for
>standard time and "+0100" for daylight saving time.  If that field is
>present, at the changeover between standard and daylight saving time,
>an XMLTV file may have timestamps that have overlapping times, but do
>not actually overlap when the timezone setting is taken into account.

And for the purposes of cross-eit.py, MythTV uses only UTC internally.
Mythfilldatabase will convert local times to UTC when it reads XMLTV
data.  So all cross-eit.py need to do is to add " +0000" to the end of
each "start=" and "stop=" field and that should make that warning
message go away.  In any case, it is just a warning and can be ignored
as mythfilldatabase is correctly assuming that the timestamps are UTC.