[mythtv-users] Fwd: Re: channel4 hd has no eit - cross-eit

UB40D ub40dd at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 5 10:06:29 UTC 2021

On Sun, 5 Sept 2021 at 10:25, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> >BTW is there any significance to the fact that chanid and channum are not
> >the same? Should they be? What's the difference between the two?
>
> Chanid is an internal database index number generated automatically by
> the channel scanning process.  It is required to be unique.  Channum
> is the channel number used by the user to change to a channel in live
> TV or the guide.  There can be multiple channels with different chanid
> values that have the same channum.  For example, you may get the same
> channel in HD from a DVB-T2 source, in SD from DVB-T and also from a
> satellite or cable service.  To distinguish between the different
> channels with the same channum, the highest priority one will be used
> first.  You can set priority in quite complex ways, but usually you
> will have higher priority for the HD versions of channels, either by
> setting the channel table priority entry or by giving the DVB-T2
> source higher priority.

Thank you: this clarifies things a bit.

I'm still not quite sure I understand why I would want to assign channums
by myself. Is it so that (e.g.) BBC1 is number 1, BBC2 is number 2 and so
forth, instead of having to deal with five-digit chanids?

Also, I can't quite understand why I might want to retain several copies of
the same channel under the same channum. Wouldn't it be simpler and less
confusing to delete all of them except the HD one?