[mythtv-users] ***Spam*** dvd subtitles colors

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 13:12:14 UTC 2021

Hoi Stephen,

Thursday, September 2, 2021, 3:33:12 AM, you wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Sep 2021 02:27:15 +0200, you wrote:

>>Hoi All,
>>
>>Of late I have been buying series on dvd. As I do not like playing
>>disk jokey I rip them to disk using dvd::rip.
>>With my last buy "Star Trek: Enterprise" I have encountered several
>>problems.
>>First I had problems with audiosync, switching to handbrake solved
>>that.
>>My second problem is with the subtitles. Normally I just burn the
>>dutch subtitles while ripping, but on this set there are extra
>>commentary subtitle and audio streams on some of the episodes so I add
>>them pass-through. Unfortunately now the coloring is off. Not in vlc
>>but in myth, in stead of white with dark border they are dark grey
>>with light grey border.
>>My first thought was extracting the subtitles as subvob with dvd::rip
>>(transcode) and adding them as external files. The external files are
>>even worse colored (blue with yellow border) but that I found I could
>>simpel adjust in the idx file. Again works fine with vlc but myth
>>does not see them.
>>Handbrake has also the option of importing srt subtitle files but not
>>subvob. So far I have not been able to find a tool to convert them.
>>
>>So anybody any suggestions?
>>
>>My last problem is that some of these dvd's have image galleries. As
>>vlc crashes on them I have been unable to see them and neither
>>dvd::rip nor handbrake is aware of their presence. I have not jet
>>further looked into this, but any ideas on how to access them?

> I have always used the Windows software DVDDecrypter for ripping DVDs
> - it does handle picture galleries.  What it does is to just make a
> copy of the DVD, with all its structure present.  It does no
> transcoding or changing of the container format.  Handbrake extracts
> the DVD video and then does transcoding on it, or at the very least
> changes the container.  That always has the ability to create
> problems, so it is best to not do that to a DVD, especially a complex
> one.  I have not heard of dvd::rip before, but I suspect it does the
> same thing.

You mean like cpvts which in essence just copies the VIDEO_TS
directory from the dvd to disk?

How then do you watch? You this way cannot import it into the mythtv
video database. You have vlc or so on your frontend machines to watch
these? It will be tricky to make selections between the different
image with just a remote.