[mythtv-users] database connection issues

Leo Butler leo.butler81 at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 20 19:15:53 UTC 2021

Hello,

I have run into a connection issue with between my frontend and a
separate backend recently. It appears to be connected to loss of the
ipv6 interface on the frontend (weirdly, NM has just starting dropping
the ipv6 interface at random). The frontend continues to try to use ipv6
to connect, although there is a fallback ipv4 address it could use.

I investigated, based on the comments here:

http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2021-August/407651.html

and sure enough mysqld on the backend was only listening on one
interface--ipv4! Apparently, a script had overwritten the bind-address
setting that I had made 3-4 years ago. Anyhow, once I set

bind-address = ::

and restarted mysqld, I could connect from mythfrontend on the frontend.

There are a couple strange things here: I have no idea why this ever
worked, once mysqld was only listening on 0.0.0.0; why would this be
linked to network issues on the frontend?

My fear is that I haven't really fixed anything, that I have gotten
lucky, and Murphy will show up when I least want him to.

----

On a related note, when I try to connect from the frontend using the
mysql client, I get:

mysql -umythtv -p --host mythtv-server.lan --port 3306 mythconverg
Enter password:
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'asus.lan' (using
password: YES)

While on the server, I have:

select * from mysql.user \G

gives:

                  Host: %
                  User: mythtv
etc.

so as near as I can see, user mythtv has the privilege to access.
Can someone explain what I am doing wrong?

TIA,
Leo