[mythtv-users] Remotely monitor Backend is running

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 13:52:39 UTC 2021

Hi Mark!

You write this to Stephen on my issue:

> Wondering if there is a different way of going about this (brainstorming?):
> - use System Event / Client Disconnected on the BE to run a script that throws a message to wherever when nominated FE disconnects?
> - use the Frontend Services API / GetStatus maybe state field has something useful?
> - use the Frontend Services API / SendKey to trigger script on FE from desktop that then throws message to wherever?

This seems more on track with the monitoring I had mind: basically a
non-Myth computer asking the Backend “are you there, and more
importantly are you working?” Any computer can go to the Backends’s
webpage (might be the wrong term – the thing one gets when type the
Backend’s address + port: 192.168.4.3:6544).   (The IP is that of my
Backend.)

As I recall when the BE didn’t work (locked up?/failed?/whatever term)
the scrolling “Last Ten Recordings” was not present (no pictures, was
condensed to a bar), I don’t recall how “Current Tuner Activity” was
displayed but seems some may have been there (I have two quad tuners, so
eight encoders are displaying – don’t recall if all eight were present).
Frontend Status had a listing. I'm not sure if something as simple as
the local machine inquiring something in
http://192.168.4.3:6544/misc/overview.qsp
<http://192.168.4.3:6544/misc/overview.qsp> (which is the full page:
Last Ten Recordings, Current Tuner Activity, Frontend Status) is closer
to what I am requesting. Don't need the visual, just something to
trigger an alarm (xmsessage pop-up) when it's not working (I got the
address from the 'inspect' function of Firefox - so seems like a good
place to start.) Barry