[mythtv-users] Remotely monitor Backend is running

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Oct 9 15:15:48 UTC 2021

On Sat, 9 Oct 2021 09:04:35 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi Stephen!
>

>I’m already unsure!! Looking at your ‘gaps’:
>

>#    import Utilities as api
>#except:
>#    print('Please install the MythTV Utilities.py file - suggested location: /usr/local/bin.')
>#    print('The Utilities.py file is available as text from here:')
>#    print('  https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Python_API_Examples')
>#    print('Please ensure that it is saved in UTF-8 format.')
>#    exit(2)
>## BJM
>## See “Python API Examples.odt”
>##   Section ==>   “Install in a dist-packages directory (hardest/preferred)”
>
>So I go to the wiki page; according to “Install in a dist-packages
>directory (hardest/preferred)” section the wiki page seems to indicate
>Utilities.py (etc.) to be a subdir of MythTV, which is on the Backend.
>OTOH the suggested location is /usr/local/bin, which I do have on this
>(‘local’) computer. ...I think I answered my own question but want to be
>sure.
>

>Barry

What version of MythTV are you using?  The Utilities.py package is
only necessary for quite old versions.  Which is why those lines are
commented out in the latest version of gaps.  It should just run
against the MythTV Python bindings without any intermediary package
such as Utilities.py with MythTV v31.

If you just run gaps, it should tell you to install a couple of
packages if they are not present already.  All the standard Python
packages will be already installed as part of Python itself, and I
think that includes enum34 in Python 3, so probably just dateutil will
be needed.  In Ubuntu, the package name for that is python3-dateutil.