[mythtv-users] Remotely monitor Backend is running

James jam at tigger.ws
Sat Oct 9 07:16:05 UTC 2021

> On 9 Oct 2021, at 2:58 pm, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 9 Oct 2021 13:28:21 +0800, you wrote:
>

>> In all my years of using myth it has ever 'ceased working' while the myth[front][back]end process 'continues running'
>
> There is a current bug that seems to be in the housekeeper database
> cleanup where the backend stops responding for a minute or two while
> the cleanup is running.  Existing recordings continue without
> problems, but the start of new recordings can be delayed - I get up to
> 30 seconds missing at the start of recordings.  If you are already
> playing a recording, that keeps going, but mythfrontend is unable to
> talk to mythbackend to start a new playback.  This likely in only
> noticeable where the database is a bit bigger than average.  So if you
> see mythfrontend being unresponsive, check
> /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log for the housekeeper activity:
>
> root at mypvr:/var/log/mythtv# grep DBCleanup
> /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log
> Oct  9 17:41:44 mypvr mythbackend: mythbackend[163593]: I CoreContext
> housekeeper.cpp:754 (Run) Queueing HouseKeeperTask 'DBCleanup'.
> Oct  9 17:41:44 mypvr mythbackend: mythbackend[163593]: I HouseKeeping
> housekeeper.cpp:144 (Run) Running HouseKeeperTask 'DBCleanup'.
> Oct  9 17:47:43 mypvr mythbackend: mythbackend[163593]: I HouseKeeping
> housekeeper.cpp:164 (Run) HouseKeeperTask 'DBCleanup' Finished
> Successfully.
>
> Mythbackend is not unresponsive for the whole period that DBCleanup is
> running, but in my case it is normally unresponsive for a minute or
> two during that time.  I have a huge database, so I see it for longer
> than most.  One of the devs who is doing the SAT>IP code for v32 has
> had it happen to him while he was testing the new code, and I think he
> was investigating, but that was a couple of months ago.

Steven
I really do not have an axe to grind, was mearly saying "this works well"

But say you've stumbled over the 'unresponsive' bug, for me, shutdown of mythbackend takes 1 or 2 minutes then startup takes another 20 secs.
Also if the unresponsive delay is DB then maybe API calls behave normally.

Since the objective is 'have fun' so no worries, but methinks the solutions talked about here are aimed at the wrong problem.

ciao
James