[mythtv-users] H.264 Problem not present in H.265

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 19:47:15 UTC 2021

On 10/8/21 3:24 PM, Ken Mandelberg wrote:
> I have 4 frontends running the most up to date trunk release. 3 are
> are on Ubuntu 20.04 (I build it), and the 4th is Peter Bennett's
> Android build v32 build running on a Chromebook.
>
> On two of the frontends H.264 and H.265 media both work perfectly. On
> the other two H.265 works perfectly, but H.264 doesn't. This is a
> problem since my backend is via Comcast/HDHomerun which is all H.264.
>
> The H.264 working frontends are
>
> NUC (backend/frontend) Celeron(R) J4005 @2.00GHz i915 graphics driver
>
> HP Z230 workstation (frontend) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz Nvidia Quadro K620
>
> The two where H.265 is fine, but H.264 is not are
>
> MacBookPro4,1 (frontend) (running Ubuntu 20.04) Intel Core 2 T9300  @
> 2.50GHz Nvidia Geforce 8600M
>
> Dell Inspiron Chromebook 11 1.6GHz Intel Celeron N3060 Intel HD400
> Graphics
>
>   these two either never get past a blank screen, or do a frame every
> few seconds, or run out of video buffers.
>
> Changing the Profiles doesn't change anything.
>
> The Macbook until several months ago had no issue, but I wasn't
> keeping track of the media format then, and since I've built newer
> versions of myth as well. It could be Comcast change or a software
> change, or even the Nvidia driver.
>
> The Chromebook never was able to do H.264
>
> On the 3 Linux machines H.264 works fine with mplayer,  on the
> Chromebook it works well enough with various apps.
>
> Any help on why H.264 is a problem and H.265 is not.

Did you try different playback profiles, or settings in the playback
profile?

While playing, select playback data, which displays a box on screen
showing what method of playback is used, ffmpeg or some type of
acceleration. This could show if hardware acceleration is being used for
h265 but not for h264.

Peter