[mythtv-users] Status of ffmpeg 4.4.1

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 15:45:28 UTC 2021

I continue to be impressed with the video performance of the Raspberry Pi 4
4GB on Bullseye 64 bit as it relates to MythTV Frontend.

I'm testing with mythtv-light with the devel/ffmpeg-resync branch and the
packaging/deb-light master branch.
mythtv-light_test_32~Pre-2989-g1147ad9a91-1_arm64_bullseye

The tuners are HDHR connect and quatro.  I was watching a local program
this morning in 1080i MPEG2 5.1 sound and using Menu -> playback-> playback
data, I see codec/dec was ffmpeg-mpeg2 and the deint was 2x GLSL Onefield.
The FPS is +/- 0.02 normally, but can jump as high as 0.21 occasionally.  I
see nothing on the screen that reflects when this occurs.

The picture looks comparable to what I see out of my 11th Gen Intel
NUC, however, the NUC is stable at +/- 0.02.  Both pictures look as good as
I've seen on the Mythtv frontend.

I had been using the rpi4 as a backend only and then using a FireTV as a
frontend.  At this point I see no difference in the picture between the 2
now.  So I'm probably going to use just the RPI4 as my RV camper Combo
FE/BE next season.

The combination of Raspberry Pi OS Bullseye 64bit and latest mythfrontend
changes is really good.

Jim A