[mythtv-users] Leanfront and events

mythtv mythtv at mdabbs.org
Wed Nov 17 19:20:32 UTC 2021

On 11/17/21 6:51 AM, James Abernathy wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 7:12 AM Mike Perkins
> <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk <mailto:mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>> wrote:
>
>     On 17/11/2021 12:03, Jim Abernathy wrote:
>      >
>      > I would vote for MQTT as the protocol for this, as I've used that
>     all over my house for passing
>      > temperature and humidity measurements to a central database
>     (influxDB) to track all that. The code
>      > for MQTT is available in python, c++, circuitpython, ardunio,
>     etc. The Leanfront code would just
>      > need a setting for each event like "topic" to subscribe to, etc.
>     I'm not using HomeAssistant, as I
>      > did my own stuff with NodRed which centralized the data between
>     MQTT, influxdb, grafana, and
>      > clients/endpoints.
>      >
>     The wonderful thing about standards is that there are so many of
>     them! I would like to dip my toe in
>     this pool but situations like this make it so difficult to make a
>     reasoned choice.If someone with 40
>     years IT experience finds it hard, how is everyone else supposed to
>     do it?
>
>     --
>
>     Mike Perkins
>

> As a 70 year old who worked with computers and software since 1969, I
> wanted to keep my brain working a little longer.  So during the Covid-10
> shutdown, I went back to electronics and software.  I saw a lot of fun
> projects with Raspberry Pis, and ESP32 microcontrollers. MQTT was the
> one set of protocols they all used so I had to learn. Of course I wanted
> it more complicated than what you could buy off the shelf so I built a
> lot myself.
>
> MQTT allows any program to subscribe to a topic to receive messages or
> publish data to that topic to send messages. It really isolates clients
> from servers.
>
> Jim A

Also, MQTT is indeed used a lot for HA when the specific hardware is not
"cleanly" supported. But, yea, it's not for the average user. Heck, even
HA hasn't made great strides in user-friendliness except in the last
year or so. For OpenHAB, there's still a lot of text file configuration
on my part to get things the way I want them.

I'm probably going to write a new binding for OpenHAB to integrate with
Myth. Not sure about leanfront yet but it'd be nice to include. For the
backend, I'll use the available web services. For the frontends, I've
dabbled with the network connection with getting the status of the
frontend so I may start with that. It's just that it would have to poll
every X seconds, which isn't horrible but...

Maybe another option for leanfront would be to implement a similar
network socket connection to listen for requests from an external PC.
I'm not sure if this works in the current Android client so I may be
sort of dead in the water before I begin anyway.