[mythtv-users] Leanfront and events

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 22:13:35 UTC 2021

On 11/16/21 4:22 PM, David Engel wrote:
> What types of things turn on and off?  If general purpose, then Home
> Assistant, as Greg suggests, is a good choice for the technically
> inclined.  It's what I use, but be forewarned, there is a learning
> curve.
>
> If you're only talking about A/V equipment, however, there are other,
> possbily easier and better choices.  Logitech's Harmony Hub used to be
> the best choice for this but it's a dead man walking.  Hopefully,
> Logitech honors its promise to keep supporting existing units for
> those of us who have them.  An alternative that is still supported and
> has gotten favorable reviews is Broadlink's RM4 Pro.  The biggest
> downsides with it from my perspeciteve are its lack of a physical
> remote (you have to use your phone or voice with Alexa/Google Home)
> and its lack of bluetooth (you usually have to use IR instead which
> requires line of sight and is less reliable).
>
> David

Actually I wanted to be able to turn fire sticks off and on again,
because occasionally they lose their ethernet connection and revert to
wifi and the only solution is to power off and on. Also there is a
raspberry pi that also from time to time randomly hangs and needs power
off and on. Then there is the router that sometimes loses its internet
connection after a power outage and needs to be powered off and on again.

I have the fire sticks and raspberry pi on Kasa smart plugs and have to
use an android app to control them. I would have liked to be able to do
it from a shell script.

Peter