[mythtv-users] Network tuners vs. USB Tuners

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 14:20:26 UTC 2021

On Sun, Nov 14, 2021 at 9:41 PM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> In your particular case, where you likely have very high signal
> levels, it is entirely possible that the HDHR is actually too
> sensitive and is getting overloaded.  So what I would recommend is to
> try reducing the signal level it is receiving.  The easy way to do
> that is to add another two way splitter in its aerial path, with one
> output of that splitter going to the HDHR and the other unused.  That
> will reduce the signal it is receiving to a little less than half what
> it is currently getting.  Tuners operate over a very wide range of
> signal levels, so if it is getting too much signal, halving the signal
> should mean that it will still be getting a level that is still in the
> high end of its available range, but it should no longer be too much.

I did some testing and I think part of the problem could be multipath
distortion. Since the problem does not occur constantly, A lot of it is
guess work.  I'm now on a single Clearstream Max antenna in my attic
located at a window. It's facing what we call Tower row about 10 miles away
where 90% of the TV signals come from in our area.  In the past to get our
local PBS station I had to point the antenna between the towers.  Most of
the time it worked, but as I saw yesterday, the Main network had the
pixelations sometimes.

So now I have a straight line of sight to the main towers; I can see their
blinking lights at night.  This means no PBS station but not's not a huge
loss.

So far no issues.  Adding the splitter to lower the signal by 3db didn't
really do anything but lower the signal strength as expected.

I'll test this configuration for a while with the branch of v32 called
devel/ffmpeg-resync and see what I get. The production backend is on v31
and I'll have it to compare, but I don't think it's software version
related.  Just the original signal.

Jim A