[mythtv-users] Network tuners vs. USB Tuners

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 21:54:39 UTC 2021

I have a production remote backend with a Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD PCIe card
tuner.  I'm very pleased with it. I also have a test FE/BE combo built with
a NUC and it uses a HDHomeRun Connect Quatro.  Both tuners are connected to
the same attic antenna via a splitter.  I'm so close to the TV broadcast
towers that I usually get between 90 and 100% signal strength.

Occasionally, I get recordings from the HDHR tuner that have pixelation
throughout the recording, maybe 1 or 2 a minutes.  However, on the
WinTV-quadHD tuner the same program recorded at the same time will have no
issues for hours.

I'm guessing this problem is tuner related, since over the years
SiliconDust has had to update the firmware in the Quatro to fix issues with
reception with certain TV stations.

So my question is what about using the Hauppauge WinTV quadHD USB tuner. It
requires USB3 which my 11th gen Intel Core i7 NUC has.  Is that tuner as
good as the PCIe quad tuner??

JIm A