[mythtv-users] Fix for broken lirc package in Ubuntu 20.04

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 15:08:04 UTC 2021

Hi,

> I am using devinput.lircd.conf in /etc/lirc/lircd.conf.d.  You seem to
> be using a different file, mceusb.lircd.conf, presumably to match your
> remote.

To use  mceusb.lircd.conf instead of devinput.lircd.conf is actually not
just about matching the remote. It also about the driver and device used.

When using devinput, lircd takes it's input from the kernel decoding.
This is, it trusts and uses the decoding done by the kernel. This is the
easy path as long as it works.

Using mceusb.lircd.conf means that lircd takes it's input directly from
the IR device driver and decodes the signals itself. This is only
possible if using an input device like /dev/lirc0 -- devinput  uses one
of the devices under /dev/input.

TL:DR Using mceusb.lircd.conf can only work if paired with a suitable
driver and device, usually the 'default' driver and the /dev/lirc0 device.

A more complete story can be found at
https://www.lirc.org/html/configuration-guide.html

Cheers!
--alec