[mythtv-users] Status of ffmpeg 4.4.1

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 15:25:27 UTC 2021

On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 9:26 AM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/12/21 8:42 AM, James Abernathy wrote:
>
> More testing on ffmpeg 4.1.1.
>
> I have a Gen 11 Intel Core i7 with Intel Iris GFX.  If I use OpenGL High
> Quality, it looks great on all types of video.
>
> If I use VAAPI Normal, the same results except the first 1 second at the
> start of play either at the beginning or at a bookmark.  What I see is 1
> second of the video with only a green color.  Kind of like a black and
> white movie but green and white movie.  After 1 second, it plays perfectly.
>
> Jim A

> What type of video is it MPEG2, H264, etc. Also is it interlaced? There
> have been some reported problems with interlaced H264 causing problems at
> start or after a jump and I am looking into that.
>
> Can you supply a sample video?
>
> Peter

Sorry, that was significant and I forgot to include.

The Videos with the "Green" 1 sec issue with VAAPI are all interlaced,
1080i MPEG2 ATSC USA OTA TV broadcast recordings.

With 720P MPEG2 ATCS USA OTA TV broadcast, there is no "Green" 1 sec issue.

All videos tested were from the primary channel within the multi-cast.
i.e. 5-1 NBC 1080i, or 50-1 720P FOX.

Let me know if you can't reproduce and I'll got back in an just record a
few seconds on these videos.  Currently both are hours long sports event.

Jim A