[mythtv-users] Fix for broken lirc package in Ubuntu 20.04

Dave Pearson (Lists) lists at the-pearsons.co.uk
Fri Nov 12 14:57:44 UTC 2021

-----Original message-----
From: Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>
Sent: Thursday 11th November 2021 13:50
To: Discussion about MythTV <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Fix for broken lirc package in Ubuntu 20.04

On Thu, 11 Nov 2021 12:54:06 +0000, you wrote:

>> On 11 Nov 2021, at 10:12, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>>
>> ?On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 12:15:42 +0000, you wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Stephen,
>>>
>>> That would be great
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Dave
>>
>> The script for Ubuntu 21.10 is here:
>>
>> http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/lirc-ubuntu-21.10-install.sh
>>
>> The only change from the 20.04 version is a slightly different
>> download location for the lirc source code.  I have tested this in a
>> VirtualBox virtual machine where I set up mythfrontend only and
>> connected it to my main MythTV box.  I was using a Pinnacle PCTV 73e
>> USB DVB-T tuner as my IR device, and a Hauppague RC5 remote.
>>
>> Once you get lirc working with the script, there are still quite a few
>> steps to get it working with mythfrontend, such as getting the right
>> .lircrc files and making mythfrontend find them.  So what sort of
>> remote are you using?

>Thanks Stephen,
>
>The script worked fine and I?m getting the correct responses in irw now, just need to get the lord file in the right place for mythfrontend to use it. I have a file that worked for my Hauppauge MCE remote before, so I should be able to use it here, but I cannot remember exactly where it needed to be.
>
>Regards,
>Dave

You need a $(HOME)/.lircrc file which contains includes that point to
the files in $(HOME)/.lirc.  There is normally a mythtv file in .lirc
where all the MythTV settings are, and another file for each program
that is using lirc (eg mplayer).  Here is mine:

root at mypvr:/home/stephen# cat .lircrc
#Custom lircrc generated via mythbuntu-lirc-generator
#All application specific lircrc files are within ˜/.lirc
include ˜/.lirc/mythtv
include ˜/.lirc/mplayer
include ˜/.lirc/xine
include ˜/.lirc/vlc
include ˜/.lirc/xmame
include ˜/.lirc/xmess
include ˜/.lirc/totem
include ˜/.lirc/elisa
include ˜/.lirc/irexec

Then you need a link to the .lircrc file from $(HOME)/.mythtv/lircrc
(no . in this case), which is where MythTV programs find their lirc
configuration.  So do this:

cd $(HOME)/.mythtv
ln -s ../.lircrc lircrc

In the $(HOME/.lirc/mythtv file, the remote= lines must use the same
name as the remote name in the file you have in
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf.d.  In my case for my MCE remote, the file is
devinput.lircd.conf and I had to modify it as it the remote in that
file that lirc was using was named "devinput-32", but my
$(HOME)/.lirc/mythtv file was using "remote=devinput".  Rather than
changing all the "remote=" lines, I just changed the
devinput.lircd.conf "name devinput-32" line to "name devinput".  You
need to restart lirc after making a change to that file:

sudo systemctl restart lircd

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I must be missing something as my Myth Frontend doesn't respond to the config file. I do recall that I had a lot of trouble getting it to work on my previous frontend, but I will get there.

Regards,

Dave.