[mythtv-users] video card?

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 12:02:55 UTC 2021

On 11/9/21 9:35 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 16:36:30 -0500, you wrote:
>

> The Nouveau drivers have historically not supported the Nvidia
> features needed for MythTV properly.  I have not tried them with
> MythTV for quite some time, so it is possible that has changed.  It is
> likely that if you use only CPU decoding and you have a powerful
> enough CPU, you would get good results.  The thing least likely to
> work is 1080i video (either MPEG2 or H.264), as deinterlacing is very
> CPU intensive.  If your normal TV is mostly 1080i, as it is in New
> Zealand, it is very important that the deinterlacing is done perfectly
> (at least for people like me who will see any defects).  Any Nvidia
> card (using its proprietary drivers and VDPAU or NVDEC) will produce a
> perfect result, with very low CPU use (and therefore lower power
> bills).
>
> For those people who have H.265 broadcasts, that needs even more
> powerful CPUs to handle the decoding if done in the CPU.  But again,
> any recent Nvidia card will handle it with ease.
>
> I have recently had to replace my laptop, and the new one has Intel
> graphics builtin (as well an Nvidia GT2060), so I should try it out
> and see how well it handles our H.264 1080i TV.

I also recently upgraded to a new Intel 10th gen  Core i7 laptop that
has the Intel Iris GFX and the Nvidia mobile GFX.

I run it in a mode that can switch between Intel and Nvidia. In Linux
Mint 20 you can right-click mythfrontend and run it with Nvidia GFX  if
you don't want the Intel GFX default. It saves a lot of battery to stay
in Intel GFX mode.

However, Intel GFX mode with Mythtv using the OpenGL profile is perfect
for me. I have started mythtv in Nvidia GFX mode with the NVDEC profile
and it also works great. The NVDEC profile seems to have defined both
NVDEC and OpenGL so not sure which it's running.

I'm willing to test some more, but my only media is MPEG2 ATCS OTA 1080i
or 720p. I do have some transcoded m4v H.264 stuff laying around.  I've
found that even older hardware has no issues with these.

Jim A