[mythtv-users] Status of ffmpeg 4.4.1

Klaas de Waal klaas.de.waal at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 19:49:07 UTC 2021

On Sun, 7 Nov 2021 at 23:44, Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/6/21 4:20 PM, Klaas de Waal wrote:
>

> On Sat, 6 Nov 2021 at 14:42, Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 11/6/21 9:02 AM, Klaas de Waal wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, 5 Nov 2021 at 22:49, Klaas de Waal <klaas.de.waal at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Looks like it happens with VDPAU only. NVDEC, OpenGL and VAAPI (that on
>>> Intel hardware) are OK.
>>> So the failing combination is VDPAU/H264/interlaced.
>>>
>>> Tested some more on other recordings and there are also blocking
>> artifacts with NVDEC, but less pronounced and also sometimes the stream
>> makes a difference. If it is difficult to reproduce I can create a ticket
>> for this and attach photographs and clips.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Klaas.

>> Hi Klaas
>>
>> I do not have any H264 interlaced recordings. On Comcast we get MPEG2
>> interlaced and H264 progressive. There is a known problem with MPEG2 and
>> both NVDEC and VDPAU, also NVidia shield where there are frequent
>> pixelations while watching MPEG2, if the stream is highly compressed as
>> some USA channels are. This has been around for many years and NVidia seem
>> to have no plans to fix it.
>>
>> I tried with H264 progressive recordings and I do not see any problem
>> with VDPAU either.
>>
>> Maybe you can send a sample H260 interlaced recording. It will have to be
>> long enough for me to perform skips, if that is the only way to see the
>> problem. What number of seconds do you have for skip ahead and skip back?
>>

>> This is a fragment with the first 100MB of a recent recording, H264 full
> HD interlaced.
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/14Z5lsY37wgr5vuL7bg7CyDDO-wg0SWIx/view?usp=sharing
>
> Playing from the start already gives blocking artifacts, as shown in the
> following link
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UA_m9gEkcrhTe_KfKfTkgKT_MdNDknyL/view?usp=sharing
> This is a screenshot taken immediately after the start of playback at the
> beginning of the file.
> Jumping is configured here for 45 seconds forward and 15 seconds backward
> but it should not matter for reproducing.
>
> FYI, Here on my local cable all HD channels are 1080 interlaced, all SD
> channels are MPEG2 interlaced. The MPEG2 recordings play OK.
> Bluray, 24p, plays OK. I can also receive OTA a 1080 progressive with H265
> coding. This also plays OK.
> I use Nvidia GT1030 cards for playback; in the living room on Ubuntu
> 18.something and the development system on Fedora 35.
>
> I do hope the links do work.
>
> Thanks,
> Klaas.
>

> I downloaded the file and I can see the problem with VDPAU. It seems ok
> with NVDEC. I am not sure of the best way to fix this.
>
> NVDEC is a better replacement for VDPAU.
>
> VDPAU does not support H265 (hevc). NVDEC supports H265.
>
> If you play H265 with VDPAU and display playback data you will see it has
> [...]

Glad you are looking into this!
I do fully agree that NVDEC is the way forward, but as I understand it
there are older cards that do support VDPAU but not NVDEC. Also there is
the ATSC CC support which is not yet working for NVDEC. So I think VDPAU
should be supported for a while.
But, also NVDEC playback is not correct. It does depend on the channel,
some skip correct and some skip not. Apparently not all 1080i50 is equal.
Attached is a clip from Eurosport which does show the blocking artifacts
when skipping with NVDEC; decoding with NVDEC verified by the playback
window.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bp5-f8FGLMuR_mHtLbRVehYO2olSO9nP/view?usp=sharing

It is definitely only happening with H264 interlaced material; MPEG2 is
always correct and H265 progressive is also correct. I do not have H265
interlaced material.

Hope this helps,
Klaas.