[mythtv-users] mythweb error

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Nov 4 01:19:00 UTC 2021

On Wed, 3 Nov 2021 15:38:04 -0400, you wrote:

>On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 11:12 AM Stephen Worthington <
>stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>

>> And if you have an older Ubuntu 20.04 install, you can just install
>> the HWE kernel packages to get the 5.11 kernels.  The current download
>> version of Ubuntu 20.04 is Ubuntu 20.04.3, which comes with the HWE
>> kernel already installed.
>>
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack
>>
>> I had to do that to get support for my new AMD Ryzen 7 3700X processor
>> and Asus ROG STRIX X570-E Gaming motherboard.
>>
>> I've used the HWE kernels before when what was installed didn't recognize
>the GFX except in VGA mode.

You do have to install the matching X packages also for HWE kernels,
and with the Nvidia drivers, there are now two variants, one using
DKMS to automatically compile against each kernel, and the other with
pre-compiled modules installed for each kernel.  I have had problems
with using the pre-compiled modules where it booted with only the
framebuffer drivers (not even Nouveau), so the screen was impossibly
small and vital windows such as Settings displayed with 2/3 invisible
off screen.  But using DKMS again has fixed that for me.  In my case,
these problems may have been provoked by installing the TBS Linux DVB
drivers, which replace a huge number of the precompiled driver modules
with ones from TBS's fork of the Linux DVB tree.

>However, I had an issue with some versions of Kubuntu 20.04 not even
>installing.  So that's why I just tried the Kubuntu 21.10 without realizing
>the PHP version issue.
>
>It is nice to have Ubuntu 20.04.3 install correctly on my 11th gen NUC
>without any playing around.

Yes, it is good that Ubuntu now releases LTS versions with the HWE
kernels once they are available.  The latest hardware does often need
them.