[mythtv-users] Status of ffmpeg 4.4.1

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 20:22:02 UTC 2021

On 03/11/2021 19:26, Peter Bennett wrote:
> Most things are working with ffmpeg 4.4.1 in the devel/ffmpeg-resync branch
>
> What is not working:
>
> - Audio "upconvert stereo to 5.1 sound" when playing a video with stereo
> sound - error message and no audio playback .
>
> - Speedup / slowdown when playing a video with dolby 5.1 audio - error
> message and no audio playback .
>
> - Report from John Pilkington that an existing bug with edit markers and
> step lengths now reacts slightly differently - I don't know if it is
> better or worse with the new ffmpeg.
>
> I am looking into the 5.1 audio issues.
>
> Peter

Hi Peter.  Thanks for your work on this.  It looks to me as if the
resync is fine and the difference that I reported is a difference
between the two ffmpeg versions.

I added another comment to issue 344 on finding that the cutlist editor
problem with H.264 recordings goes away if I first process the file,
without cuts, into the ffmpeg format that also worked with leanfront.  I
don't know if that happens because of the non-AV streams that get
removed, or because of the many complaints that ffprobe makes about the
structure of the beginning of the raw recording file.

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/issues/344

I haven't noticed any problems in skipping during playback of the
processed file.

I don't often make H.264 recordings, but I have another one scheduled to
see how well I can internal cuts these days.

Thanks again,

John