[mythtv-users] complete uninstall and reinstall on Ubuntu 20.04

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 23:02:28 UTC 2021

On Mon, Nov 1, 2021 at 5:44 PM <lists at arewethere.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 01, 2021 at 03:33:19PM -0400, James Abernathy wrote:
> > I know that when I install MythTV on an Ubuntu 20.04 machine it does
> > everything for me in regards to database, Mythweb, passwords and config
> > files.  However using apt remove --purge doesn't remove everything.
> >
> > What else do I need to delete to make the mythtv-setup start all over
> > again? I've tried removing the /etc/mythtv directory and the
> > /home/$USER/.mythtv directory.  I must be missing something.
> >
> > Maybe the mariadb database is still there???
> >

> Quite possible, as it may be difficult for the package to know
> which database is associated with it; I can think of a couple of
> cases where the wrong database might get removed unless the package
> checks with the user first.
>
> You can see all the actions that 'remove' and 'purge' will take
> by looking at the 'prerm' and 'postrm' scripts for the package.
> They should be named /var/lib/dpkg/info/<packagename>.{prerm,postrm}.
>
> What do you see if you run "sudo mysql -e 'show databases'" ?
>
> HTH

I can't look right now.  I have a bad habit of guessing if it takes more
than  30 minutes to figure something out, I can reinstall Ubuntu and
rebuild everything quicker. I have it down to a science. I can reinstall in
10 minutes and install mythtv in 10 minutes via ppa. Compiling from source
will take about 15.

Jim A