[mythtv-users] complete uninstall and reinstall on Ubuntu 20.04

lists at arewethere.net lists at arewethere.net
Mon Nov 1 21:43:54 UTC 2021

On Mon, Nov 01, 2021 at 03:33:19PM -0400, James Abernathy wrote:
> I know that when I install MythTV on an Ubuntu 20.04 machine it does
> everything for me in regards to database, Mythweb, passwords and config
> files.  However using apt remove --purge doesn't remove everything.
>
> What else do I need to delete to make the mythtv-setup start all over
> again? I've tried removing the /etc/mythtv directory and the
> /home/$USER/.mythtv directory.  I must be missing something.
>
> Maybe the mariadb database is still there???

Quite possible, as it may be difficult for the package to know
which database is associated with it; I can think of a couple of
cases where the wrong database might get removed unless the package
checks with the user first.

You can see all the actions that 'remove' and 'purge' will take
by looking at the 'prerm' and 'postrm' scripts for the package.
They should be named /var/lib/dpkg/info/<packagename>.{prerm,postrm}.

What do you see if you run "sudo mysql -e 'show databases'" ?

HTH