[mythtv-users] Odd rewriting of program length

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon May 24 07:52:57 UTC 2021

On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 4:27 AM Ross Boylan
<rossboylan at stanfordalumni.org> wrote:

> Would the info in programs have to come through SchedulesDirect, or
> can myth get it OTA?  I thought picking one excluded the other, though
> it would be handy to be able to get late adjustments for, e.g., sports
> games that run over, OTA.

The general rule is never mix two different guide
sources (i.e. EIT with Schedules Direct) because
"bad things happen" as each stomps on the other.

And, while it might be nice if EIT was updated with
shows that change at the last minute, it does not
actually work that way at least in the US.

In the US, EIT quality is considered rather poor,
and has a limited time frame (often just 12
hours), so something like Schedules Direct is
usually recommended, and therefore EIT
should be disabled.

Depending on your setup, there may be a
couple of ways to disable EIT, so use the
instructions on the wiki that work best for
you.

> This would make the 2nd SF Bay Area station I've found butchering
> their shows.  The local CBS affiliate was in the habit of broadcasting
> Face the Nation for 30 minutes, even though it's a 60 minute show!
> (They usually broadcast the other half ~ 12 hours later!).  Maybe we
> should be thankful they haven't done it to 60 Minutes!

If they edited shows to delete the fluff/filler that
might be an OK approach, but obviously their
idea of fluff/filler might not agree with yours,
and in any case, neither likely would agree with
that of the producers who think all of the content
is valuable and necessary.