[mythtv-users] Recordings not working

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat May 22 17:35:04 UTC 2021

On Sat, 22 May 2021 09:40:19 -0400, you wrote:

>On 5/22/21 7:39 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 May 2021 17:58:43 +0800, you wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>>> Interesting. Take a look at the forum posts here:
>>>>>   https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4453&p=21893#p21895
>>>> I also had an incident just like that on the 16th - MythTV v31-fixes
>>>> failed to record all day until I noticed in the evening.  The log
>>>> showed lots of SQL errors.  There was a new version of MythTV waiting
>>>> to be updated to, so when I noticed the problem, I installed the
>>>> update and rebooted.  Looking at mythbackend.log now, I can see that
>>>> there were three more short periods where there were some more SQL
>>>> errors logged, but it seems to have continued working properly after
>>>> those incidents.  I think there were two more updates installed since
>>>> the day it failed to record.  My guess was that there was a bug that
>>>> caused the problem which was fixed by the update I installed when I
>>>> found the problem.
>>>> I am using MariaDB, so if my problem is the same one, it is unlikely
>>>> that both MySQL and MariaDB would be causing problems at the same
>>>> time, so the problem is likely in MythTV rather than the database
>>>> servers.
>>> Thanks for your responses. The issue described in the forum post link
>>> you sent sounds like the same as mine.
>>> It happened again yesterday, but today all was fine. So I'm still not
>>> sure what's going on.
>> My mother's MythTV box had it yesterday, but mine has been fine since
>> I rebooted it.  I am keeping an eye on them to see if it will happen
>> again.  As best I can tell from the logs, the problem happens when the
>> scheduler runs, and after that the scheduler never works again, so
>> there are no scheduled recordings.  This feels like a new MythTV bug,
>> so someone should create a bug report for the developers to have a
>> look at it.
>> _______________________________________________
>This is possibly related to a new version of mysql, see
>Perhaps a reboot after the database upgrade would fix it?
>Here are the changes to fixes/31 since April 1st. There does not seem to 
>be anything database or scheduler related:
>* f8c59ee69d 2021/05/17 Stuart Auchterlonie : Revert "V4LChannel: Remove 
>unneeded definitions" - Broke debian-stretch and centos7builds
>* fe5a6243ce 2021/05/17 Stuart Auchterlonie : Revert "Use system 
>videodev2.h" - Broke debian-stretch and centos7 builds
>* 9b74773e3c 2021/05/17 Gary Buhrmaster : Use system videodev2.h
>* bcc01811ca 2021/05/17 Gary Buhrmaster : V4LChannel: Remove unneeded 
>* 200e3f4757 2021/05/17 Klaas de Waal : Update changed streams on PMT 
>* f7de8cea58 2021/05/06 Peter Bennett : tmdb3 lookup: Prevent exception 
>when there are no posters.
>* b2ed400037 2021/05/01 Klaas de Waal : Update file size before skip 
>* 05c16580e1 2021/04/19 Peter Bennett : tmdb3tv: Prevent exception when 
>non-existent season is requested.
>* c02c6fc0b3 2021/04/18 kmdewaal : Merge pull request #356 from 
>| * d4997f4629 2021/04/18 kingsley : Increase cut-off for subtitle 
>buffer clear, too small for SSA karaoke subs
>* 563a05b7a8 2021/04/01 Klaas de Waal : Show "Use FFmpeg's original 
>MPEG-TS demuxer" option

If it is a problem in the database client or server, then the same
problem must have been put into both MySQL and MariaDB.  Which is
looking likely as that forum thread seems to match what I am seeing
happening, and matches the theory that the database connection is
being lost somehow.  But I thought that MythTV was able to cope with
the database connection going away, because when MySQL or MariaDB gets
upgraded, that happens with mythbackend still running, and it does not
seem to notice unless it was actually doing a database operation at
the time.

More information about the mythtv-users mailing list