[mythtv-users] XMLTV, SchedulesDirect, and SH programming

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri May 21 11:48:28 UTC 2021

On 05/20/2021 01:04 PM, Larry Kennedy wrote:
> All,
>
> Since I upgraded to the XMLTV Sqlite JSON grabber with
> SchedulesDirect, I'm having trouble recording a show that used to work
> just fine before the upgrade.
>
> Pardon the Interruption (PTI) airs weekdays on ESPN, so I had a rule
> to record all showings of this program on that channel.  After the
> switch to XMLTV, mythtv only records one showing, and all subsequent
> showings are regarded as duplicates, so they are skipped.  I can see
> in the listings that all showings have the same episodeID, so I opened
> a case with SD to possibly address this episodeID issue, and I was
> told that the listings are correct, and this is because PTI is SH
> programming, versus EP programming.  I was told that there most likely
> is a way to handle SH programs differently than EP programs in mythtv
> scheduling.
>
> Does anyone know what I need to do to get this recording back on track?

The program ID's being the same is likely not directly related to what's
going on--you most likely have something else configured in your
recording rule that's preventing the recordings.  A program ID starting
with SH is Schedules Direct's marker that it's a "generic"
episode--meaning they don't have specific information about which
episode it is (and/or it's a non-episodic show).  Therefore, MythTV
should record every single episode, regardless of subtitle, description,
program ID, etc.--unless told by the recording rule to do otherwise.  If
you disable generic episodes (with "Exclude generic episodes" or
"Exclude repeat and generic episodes" filter or possibly even  "New
episodes only" or "Exclude repeat episodes"), it won't record them.

You can look in Upcoming Recordings in mythfrontend to see why it says
it's not recording them.

Mike