[mythtv-users] MythTV box setting its input source on a Samsung TV over IP

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Wed May 19 16:41:56 UTC 2021

Has anyone here tried using the Samsung IP interface to control their
Samsung TV over the network?

My MythTV hardware doesn't support CEC but I'd quite like to be able to
turn the TV on and set it to the correct input for MythTV using my MythTV
remote - I don't want to have to pick up two remotes.

I know I could use a programmable or a 4-in-1 universal remote.  I have an
old Harmony (525) but I don't really get on with it. It chews through
batteries and uses soft-keys on a small LCD screen which I can't read very
well.  So I use an old Media Centre Edition remote which I've got to quite
like and I'd rather not buy another for what is really just a 'nice to
have' feature.

I've learned how to bind remote key presses to scripts on my MythTV box and
I can turn the Television on by pressing a button which triggers a script
to send the TV a Wake-on-LAN packet.

The problem comes in setting the TV to the HDMI1 input.  It can't be done
directly using the original Samsung remote.  You have to press the 'Source'
key and then use the arrow keys to navigate around an array of buttons
representing the various input sources. Samsung make this harder by
re-arranging the buttons each time depending on history.

However it can be done directly using my Harmony remote.  There are HDMI1,
HDMI2 etc soft keys on the little LCD which take the TV directly to the
specified input source.  So I was hopeful that I'd be able to do the same
thing using the IP interface.  I've installed the python based samsungctl
application on my MythTV box and got it working.  I can send KEY_VOLUP to
turn the volume up, and KEY_SOURCE to bring up the array of source buttons
on the TV and lots of other fun stuff.

Sadly though, the key commands KEY_HDMI1, KEY_HDMI2 which are listed in the
documentation don't seem to do anything.  I can send KEY_HDMI, which steps
around the available HDMI ports and I guess I should be happy with that,
but I just believe Samsung must have provided an HDMIn command, if only I
knew what it was.

Any ideas?