[mythtv-users] mythtv and zoneminder cameras

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed May 5 14:47:34 UTC 2021

On 05/05/2021 14:50, Paul Harrison wrote:
> On 05/05/2021 14:23, Peter Bennett wrote:

>>> Ah, sorry. Forgot to include my version:
>>>
>>> mythtv at jade:~$ mythbackend --version
>>> Please attach all output as a file in bug reports.
>>> MythTV Version : v30.0
>>> MythTV Branch :
>>> Network Protocol : 91
>>> Library API : 30.20181231-1
>>> QT Version : 5.11.3
>>> (snip)
>>> mythtv at jade:~$
>>>
>>> I'm using Debian Buster and the deb-multimedia repo.
>>>
>>> I really do have an upgrade on the 'to do' list but time, etc. and it isn't (yet) broke.
>>>

>> I am working on a setup that records from a camera into MythTV using a black box external recorder
>> and ffmpeg. It is working well, I can share the scripts with you.  There is the problem that only
>> one thing can access /dev/video0 at a time, so if vlc is running and showing the camera, the
>> script cannot access it. I don't know how zoneminder works, but if zoneminder has the camera then
>> likely your mythtv script would not be able to get it. Do you have a solution for that?
>>
>> Peter
>>

> The OP is talking about IP cameras that broadcast the video stream over rtsp or similar protocols.
> All the IP cameras I've used have had no problems streaming to several clients at the same time.
>

> ZM can also use cameras that use v4l2 interface that use for example /dev/video0 and you are
> probably right they can't be shared in a same way although ZM does make the live stream available to
> any clients and that is what mythzmserver uses to get the live video for those streams although it
> is usually restricted to 10 or so frames per second rather that 25/30 the cameras typically capture at.

Absolutely. These days IP cameras are cheap enough that it saves going through the hassle of using a
tuner card. Just plug it into a suitable switch and it is on stream. A switch that provides POE
costs a little more but I already used one to feed a WiFi access point and a baby monitor so just
reconfigured that (TP-Link TL-SG108PE).

--

Mike Perkins