[mythtv-users] Stupid Fire Stick Match Frame Rate feature

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Sat Mar 27 21:02:22 UTC 2021

On 27/03/2021 20:42, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> On 27/03/2021 19:55, Peter Bennett wrote:
>> Does this happen if you plug the fire stick directly into the TV?
>
> I haven't tried that, but perhaps I should. I've been assuming all is
> fine with my set up because my mythfrontent always switches faultlessly,
> but I've just realise it's cheating in that I have it loading EDID from
> a binary file. That's also reminded me that it used to work before I
> loaded EDID, but only if I turned on the AV receiver before the
> frontend. It may be that the FireTV picks up EDID only on boot and when
> the display settings are changed... although that wouldn't explain why
> you've never seen the problem... so I guess not.

Yes, nothing to do with the order in which components are turned on. I
tried, while leaving TV and receiver turned on, resetting the FireTV: no
luck. I tried removing and replugging the FireTV's power: no luck. I set
it to 60fps, back to automatic and reenabled fps matching and it works
just fine. Still a bit of a mystery.

>> I plug the fire stick directly into the TV, then take optical output
>> from the TV to the audio system. This successfully carries dolby
>> digital to the audio system without having the audio system in between
>> the TV and the fire stick. Another option may be to use a splitter to
>> pass the hdmi to the tv and the audio system.
>
> That's sounds like good advice. That set up never occurred to me. I'd
> hope my TV has optical out.

Apparently my TV can pass through only stereo. How does the splitter
idea work? How would one arrange which branch the EDID is fetched from?